- My Favorite Newborn books:
- Baby Wise: I have definitely found this book to be frustrating at times. Neither of my boys have been Baby Wise perfection but I love the idea of following a routine. I am a routine person. We also looked that the parents that we really respect and many of them used this book so we took that as an encouragement to check into it.
- The Baby Whisperer:
This book is very similar in many ways to Baby Wise. It has some
awesome graphs for eating and sleeping needs at each development stage.
The author has some ideals about getting babies to sleep that we did not
follow but I use this as a resource consistently.
- Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child:
Another great sleeping resource. I have never had the courage to try to
just let baby sleep how they want for the first 12 weeks. I am always
too afraid of developing bad habits. But I will say that I worked hard
on sleep training Walker and it took him exactly 12 weeks (from his
original due date) to get into a regular napping rhythm. This is more of
a research based approach to sleep.
- The Happiest Baby on the Block : This is such a simplistic approach, one that we just pull out when we need to. The five S's. Suck, Swaddle, Shhhhhhh, Side and Sway/Swing (motion). There are times when one or more of these 5 S's save the day.
2. All Things Nursing/Feeding
- Madela Pump. Someone once told me to not skimp on a good pump and I believe that is great advice! That being said I am on my 3rd used pump, aka hand-me-downs. All three have worked great for me. I don't work full time so I don't use it as much as others might. I have heard you can go to a clinic and have them test the power of your pump motor to ensure it's powerful enough.
- Any nursing cover that has a built in wire. Mine is a Bebe Au Lait.
- Lansinoh Breast Pads are my favorite and once my milk was more regulated I started using non disposable breast pads that I found on Diapers.com for daytime when I am less likely to have leakage. This has saved me a lot of money this time around.
- Madela Breast milk storage bags
- Madela Quick clean bags are so awesome!!! They didn't have these when I had Simon. I still wash all pump parts but then occasionally throw them in a bad in the microwave. Steam cleaned in 3 minutes.
- Boppy pillow with a nice and soft cover which is usually not what comes with them. I use the one that comes with it to but much prefer the softer cover. It's definitely nice to have two of these when one is in the wash. (I've heard great things about the Breast Friend but never bought it)
- Old cloth diapers make the best burp cloths.
- Use Born Free bottles. Haven't had any issues with them.
- One play mat/play gym. This is also easy to borrow. They don't use them for very long.
- One bouncy seat--An absolute necessity. I like one that can lay flat or adjust to sitting up for the different stages.
- I skipped buying a swing and borrowed my sister's. Very expensive item that many ppl never use. Both of my boys barely used it.
- I have adapted two different shelves into changing tables. Just put the big changing pad on top of a hip height book shelf. Built in storage.
- We have the Bjorn baby carrier and a ring sling. Like both. Walker took so many naps in the ring sling early on.
- Strollers: When we had Simon we used the Graco Ipo umbrella and the Snap n Go. We have gotten so much use out of both. My sister and a friend borrowed the Snap n Go. Perfect for short errands because it's lightweight and you don't have to move baby to put them in. Now we most use the Baby Jogger City Select with two seats. Holy Cow: It is deluxe!!!!! We love it! (We got a major discount from a friend hook up through Zappos and are still pinching ourselves b/c we usually don't have "Nice" things). We have a single and double Baby Jogger running stroller. Love them both! Got one used for free and one off craigslist.
- No strong opinions over things like cribs, high chairs, etc other than don't overspend.
- If we had it to do over we would have gotten a nicer pack and play because we noticed that the more expensive the better cushion on the mattress. Ours is more like a piece of card board with a little cushion over it but it still works.